Surgery can play an integral role in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer – from surgical biopsies to confirm the disease to complex, minimally invasive surgical procedures to remove a tumor.
Smilow Cancer Hospital's Greenwich Hospital Campus's surgical specialists are highly skilled in the latest techniques for treating breast
and other types of cancer.
The staff includes general surgeons, breast surgeons, neurosurgeons, gynecological surgeons, otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat specialists), plastic surgeons, thoracic surgeons and urologists experienced in surgical oncology. Thoracic surgeon Paul Waters, MD
, is Greenwich Hospital’s director of surgical oncology.
Surgeons are involved at all levels of the cancer care process, including diagnosis, staging, treatment and restoration. The hospital also has a 22-bed inpatient oncology unit
with an expanded family care area.
Here are some of the many resources Smilow Cancer Hospital's Greenwich Hospital Campus offers to patients requiring cancer surgery:
- Surgeons trained in minimally invasive procedures that require miniscule incisions. This leads to quicker recoveries, less pain and fewer complications.
- The Breast Center with nationally recognized surgeons skilled in the most advanced diagnostic and treatment procedures, including breast reconstruction surgery.
- Robotic technology with the da Vinci surgical system offers men with prostate cancer better outcomes with fewer side effects.
- Cryotherapy, which uses sub-zero temperatures to destroy cancer cells in the prostate and kidney. Smilow Cancer Hospital's Greenwich Hospital Campus is the only healthcare facility in Fairfield and Westchester counties to offer this procedure.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery to treat lung cancer with minimally invasive techniques.
- Tumor Boards and Tumor Conferences, attended by surgeons and other cancer team members, explore all appropriate options for individualized treatment plans.