Inpatient Oncology Unit
The inpatient oncology unit is designed to meet the medical and emotional needs of patients and their loved ones. The staff’s family-centered approach to care recognizes the impact of a cancer diagnosis on patients and family members alike.
Located in Greenwich Hospital’s Watson Pavilion, the 22-bed adult unit includes mostly private rooms that are equipped to accommodate family members who wish to stay overnight. Each room has wireless Internet, telephone and TV service. Newspapers and magazines are available for delivery as well.
The unit features an expanded family care area with a lounge, kitchenette and bathroom. The lounge – with its sofa beds, computers, televisions and more – can be divided into two separate rooms for overnight guests.
Compassionate, Interdisciplinary Cancer Care
Patients undergoing diagnostic testing and treatment receive compassionate, comprehensive care from a cancer care team that includes:
Palliative Care Services and Home Hospice Care
- Medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and surgical oncologists
- Certified oncology nurses specially trained to care for cancer patients and their families. These nurses work on the inpatient oncology unit and at the Bendheim Cancer Center, the hospital’s outpatient treatment facility.
- An oncology clinical nurse specialist who serves as a resource to staff, patients, family members and caregivers
- Integrative medicine professionals who provide massage therapy, Healing Touch, music therapy, pet therapy and other complementary services designed to ease the hospital experience
- Spiritual care professionals including a board-certified oncology chaplain
- Social workers
- Therapists (physical, occupational, speech-language and behavioral)
- Volunteers trained to work with cancer patients
Palliative care services available at the hospital assist patients and families with the medical and psychosocial issues that arise near the end of life. The team includes a physician board-certified in pain management and palliative care, spiritual care professionals and a specially trained oncology counselor.
Greenwich Hospital also provides a seamless continuum of oncology care for patients who require home hospice
care near the end of life.